Monday 18 July 2011

Monday - quiet

Had a go round the shops today.  A lot of my bushcraft clothes were getting rather frayed at the edges.  It's never seemed worth buying new as they do get dirty and smoky.  I recall walking in to Tesco after one course - I'd remembered to take off my sheath knife, but stinking of woodsmoke, covered in mud, pheasant blood and assorted other grime isn't what shop assistants expect in urban Essex.
Anyway, there's a Go Outdoors that opened a year or so ago near me, I've been meaning to visit for a look and this seemed a good time.  Walked in to the store and there was an american style greeter on the door.  I surprised myself by rather liking the experience - the guy did seem genuinely welcoming and not the false 'have a nice day' bit.  Wandering round the store I was again offered help several times - not in a pushy way and I was left alone when I declined help.  Then I found I'd  left my reading glasses at home and needed to ask an assistant for help reading the sizing on packs of socks.  He happily helped and also noticed a bit of the display was awry and stopped to push the display part back into place.  The till girl was also more than willing to explain their discount card scheme.
A good experience - I got cargo walking trousers, a medium weight fleece top and some recommended socks (the most expensive I've ever bought!).  Exactly what I set out to buy, and spending less than I'd expected.  On a Monday morning the shop was practically deserted, almost more staff than customers.  I was still impressed with the staff though.  Is that just chance that they were a good bunch, or is that shop doing something right?  Later in the day I went to a B&Q - the staff didn't offer help, the displays were, to be kind, grubby and it was more the usual big store shopping experience I'd expect.
The big point here is that the Go Outdoors staff seemed a lot happier than other staff I've met in big stores.  I'd really like to know if happy staff give good service, or caring about your job makes you happier.  I know I responded to the service by being nice to the staff - and the 64k dollar question, how does management achieve a happy staff corps eager to do their job well?  Feel sure it's not just a case of paying them more.

No comments:

Post a Comment